homestead - Re: [Homestead] housecleaning

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] housecleaning
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:44:44 -0500

Years ago I had a solar fence charger. I liked it. It was pricey up front,
but it worked even when the grid was down, which was great. At that place
the power went off with alarming frequency. It kept in EVEN sheep. That is
saying a lot, as when they are in wool, sheep are not impressed by anything
short of a serious jolt. I had long wool sheep, and they stayed in even
right before sheering when their wool was LONG. I found it very expensive to
replace the battery on the solar fence charger when the original died. I
think it was about $70, if memory serves - it might have been as much as
$80. But the original battery lasted a few years, possibly 5 to 7 years.
Wish I'd kept records.

Gloria