homestead - Re: [Homestead] Brussels Sprouts

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Brussels Sprouts
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:15:28 EDT

What? Do you mean my loose Brussels Collards?

No, they taste the same. Very good, but the heads are so loose it takes a
lot of sprouts to make a serving.

A couple of people had opined in this thread that no one at their table liked
the sprouts, or detested them.

Before rendering final judgement, folks, make sure someone has cooked them
correctly. This goes for a lot of foods that are unpopular.

When I was a child the only exposure I got to spinach was in the p.s. lunch
room. It was a ghastly dark green slime that looked like someone had already
eaten it once. If it wasn't repulsive enough already, they put a slice of
boiled egg on it. This was before the days of "Green Eggs and Ham" and so
when
the spinach bled through the egg and dyed it green, it was a real gastronomic
nightmare.

It being the 50's and childrens delicate sensibilities not being the main
concern, everyone was required to take three bites of everything on their
lunch
plate. Many a kid upchucked all over an insistant teacher. Ah p.s.

Needless to say spinach soon took on the same food appeal as motor oil or
fish offal. I was an adult before I came across the notion of eating raw
spinach. Then from there to learn that one cooks spinach by just heating it,
just
letting a little steam rise from it, not boiling it for three hours.

Brussels Sprouts are that way. They want cooking ony until the center of the
sprout is hot. Steaming is a good way to cook them. Once at the local
meat-and-two-seasoned-vegetables restaurant where they had a weekly catfish
night
(and can you believe there are even people who don't like catfish!) they
listed Brussels Sprouts on the menu and I thought 'Why not?'

They were overly cooked, very overly, and inedible.

Like that a friend of ours said he never ate cooked greens. At our table he
eventually had mustard, kale, beet tops, turnip tops, cressy greens, poke,
spinach, lambs quarters, and purslane and declared them all to be 'fit for
every
occasion.' He'd never before had them cooked properly.

Might not be the sprouts. Might just be the cooking. </HTML>