homestead - Re: [Homestead] Frost protection, was Re: "Old" apple trees - How to identify?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Frost protection, was Re: "Old" apple trees - How to identify?
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:11:11 -0500

On Apr 12, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I wish I'd written down the date last year -- and the many years
before -- when trees put out leaves, but this year seems incredibly
slow. We've had some warm weather, but nothing is growing except grass
and some weeds and those not so much. The next two days are forecast
to be cold and miserable: wind (25+ mph), rain, etc. Woe, woe, woe...

Those who do not keep a gardening journal are destined for lessons needing to be relearned in senior years.

You are fortunate, I wish spring had been delayed here. Much plant damage here is caused by late frosts. Trees bud out, blossom, set fruit, and blam! I will soon know if the two heartnut trees in the front yard will this year thrive with only strong pruning of the top branches that were killed by a late, hard freeze last year.

Small plants, like tomatoes, are easily covered. Trees are another matter. Once again I am reminded that while they are much shorter- lived, dwarf fruit trees are far more easily covered when freezing weather threatens buds.

April 20th is our typical date when one can stop worrying about late frosts. We have this year had mid-seventies days. Most nights have been in the forties. Tomorrow morning is forecast to be in the mid- twenties.