homestead - [Homestead] Birds in the barn

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org, wsu <goats AT lists.wsu.edu>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Birds in the barn
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:35:29 -0500

Some weeks ago I asked for help because I had a massive invasion of
starlings in the barn. As it turned out, it was the evening light in
the barn that attracted them, though I've had those lights on for
years without the same problem. Once we went back to darkness at
sundown, the starlings went elsewhere.

I've also had an invasion of pigeons. Since I rarely feed grain, I
don't know what attracted them. The hawk that used to sit in the ash
tree over the chicken yard hasn't been back lately, but I'm thinking
of looking into falconery. They may have been attracted by the lights
too as their numbers are down since we went dark.

Marie