homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Old" apple trees - How to identify?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Old" apple trees - How to identify?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:50:05 -0500

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:30 AM, tom <tom AT honeychrome.com> wrote:

> If you plant the seeds from an apple you will not end up with a tree
> that produces that same apple- in fact each of the five seeds in an
> apple will produce a genetically different tree and the odds are
> tremendous that you won't get decent fruit (at least for eating).

This thread has been educational for me. I was under the delusion that
really old apple trees were not grafted and so would breed true: all
that Johnny Appleseed lore, ya know.

I have just found a super market apple that actually tastes like an
apple: Empire. The checker where I bought my last batch said she loved
them, and she obviously knew what they tasted like -- crisp and tart
with good back flavor.

Marie, always in search of tasty apples

PS: Since apples are so dependent on humans, could we be facing a
future without them? Perish the thought. Certainly not in my lifetime.