homestead - Re: [Homestead] smoking suana?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] smoking suana?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:14:44 -0800

To get the smoke you'd use wet wood chip in addition to the logs you use to get the heat. Smokey wood doesn't really get all that hot and is a bear to keep going, so you'd have to treat it the same as a smoke house.

I'd suggest apple wood chips, then you'd smell nice <g>

Actually, its a small 'cabin', like 10x10, with a fireplace and no
chimney. You build the fire and warm it up, and obviously you are
smoking it up, too. Then, you open the door or the window or allow 95%
of the smoke to clear without loosing too much heat, and you enter.
I've never actually done it, but I would imagine it would be like
entering a smoky bar or foggy nightclub or something...not that I would
know anything about that kind of stuff either... but as to the wood, I
would imagine they would burn birch, ash, and maybe aspen. Then again,
maybe they use the softer pine for more smoke...I dunno.
I just got home from a 10+ hour day at work and I could REALLY use a
sauna, but I can't even take a shower as the bathroom is torn apart and
we are remodeling this weekend..but, I can dream...about saunas,
Finland, and BBQ sauce. ;)