homestead - Re: [Homestead] What do I want?

  • From: tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What do I want?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:28:29 -0400

I'll second the 'getting it down in writing' part of figuring out what you want. I'm almost through a PDC while also reading Jacke's Edible Forest Gardening as we evolve our development plans for our place and the importance of goals articulation has really been driven home. Not only is it important to get things in writing, but go a step further and phrase it in the present tense in an active voice. Don't write out a list of "this is what I want." Write out a first person description of your life as you want it. Sounds goofy, but the perspective shift can be critical. It was fascinating (and crucial) when my wife and I recently wrote out our 'goals' independently then sat down to read each others' statements. On the whole our goals were very much the same, though the prioritization was different- it helped us both understand each other better and align our goals more effectively.