homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:53:38 -0500

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:04 PM, clhw <clhw AT infoave.net> wrote:

> He is the first person I've met who knew for a fact, and had government
> support to the idea, that his textile industry (formerly employed by
> Greenwood Mills, a local cotton plant) position moved overseas. I've heard
> a lot of denial to the effect that such an idea was an Internet
> concoction,
> or conspiracy theory. Here is proof that it's real.

My Dad who lives in a suburb of Mpls was employed as a Credit Manager for
35+ years. His last job before he retired was with GE. He was with a small
local MN company (name escapes me, sorry) that made industrial water
turbines & filters that was bought by GE, so his last three years he worked
for GE.

During his last year before he turned 65, GE began outsourcing (and laying
off) his whole department to India. My Dad talked w/ various people in India
to explain how to do this and that, and my Dad told me now and then how they
were trying to keep running the department with fewer and fewer people in
the office in MN, while the office in India was getting up to speed. He was
very frustrated. Eventually, what was a department of a dozen people or so
was down to just two people, my father and another. GE talked about laying
off my Dad a month before his 65th bday but he talked to Personnel and they
kept him employed through his bday (better for SS purposes).

Two+ years later, my Dad who thought he would get a 30-hour week consulting
job to supplement SS but couldn't even get an interview, is painting houses
(interior and exterior) and enjoying himself. He controls his schedule and,
I suspect, earns close to what he would consulting. He has as much work as
he wants and needs through word of mouth. He is an excellent painter - from
many years of moving and homeownership
.
Lisa