homestead - Re: [Homestead] Outside pizza oven, tiled

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Outside pizza oven, tiled
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:24:41 -0800

At 2/18/2008 10:04 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:

On Feb 17, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Rob wrote:

> For the wood fired outdoor oven you really need to take a look at the
> book "The Bread Builders".
> http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Builders-Hearth-Loaves-Masonry/dp/1890132055
> Dan Wing (one of the two authors of the Bread Builders) has an oven
> on a trailer and had some good advice (somewhere) on building one of
> those.

Rob, do you own this book? I went to Amazon and read all 27 of the
customer reviews. Most were of glowing praise. On the point of
building an outside oven they confused me.

Yes I own the book and yes it does tell you how to build an outside oven. Fire brick is used for the floor and I'd have to go look at it to tell you if the walls are firebrick or not. These ovens have mass and insulation and another wall to hold the insulation and provide protection for the inside. The insulation is the poured in type.

This is NOT a mud oven.

If you really want to build one this book would be worth your time.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA