homestead - Re: [Homestead] Outside pizza oven, tiled

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Outside pizza oven, tiled
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:04:44 -0700

On Feb 17, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Rob wrote:

For the wood fired outdoor oven you really need to take a look at the
book "The Bread Builders".
http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Builders-Hearth-Loaves-Masonry/dp/1890132055
Dan Wing (one of the two authors of the Bread Builders) has an oven
on a trailer and had some good advice (somewhere) on building one of those.

Rob, do you own this book? I went to Amazon and read all 27 of the customer reviews. Most were of glowing praise. On the point of building an outside oven they confused me. Many said the book provides detailed instructions. Several said such instructions were lacking. At least one said you have to send for plans.

Along the right margin at the beginning of the reviews are three other books on the subject: "Building a Wood-Fired Oven for Bread and Pizza," "Build Your Own Earth Oven, 3rd Edition: A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven," and "Your Brick Oven: Building It and Baking in it."

So there are four choices. Two are rated low by customers. One is rated a half-star higher than "The Bread Builders."

Issues in my mind include whether to use fire bricks for the inside of the dome or not, of what material to build the floor, whether to have a flu, and how to handle the weather-proofing question.