homestead - [Homestead] Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:01:05 -0700

While I hope and presume that the firing of Kent Whealy at Seed Savers Exchange will not affect the viability of that fine effort, I am gratified that there are other people who are also working for genetic diversity by promulgating heirloom varieties. One of those is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, the offspring of Jere Gettle's amazing energy. He started Baker Creek when he was seventeen years old. His catalog now offers over 1,200 varieties.

Lucky us, Baker Creek is only an hour north of Heartwood. Chris and I went up there last year for the spring festival. It's a very real place. We parked in a big pasture and walked in to find an impressive number of vendors, presentations, good food and live music. Lots of people. We browsed through the seed barn bins and bought way too many seeds. A seed barn is like a bookstore, a place most dangerous to one's finances.

Gettle is quite the promoter and for 2008 he is doing monthly festivals. If you get the chance, it's worth your time.

Their great url is simply: http://rareseeds.com/