homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed Savers Exchange firing of Kent Whealy

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed Savers Exchange firing of Kent Whealy
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:42:31 -0600

On Jan 24, 2008 9:30 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
> Seed Savers Exchange is held in high regard by those of us who
> understand the need for genetic diversity. I have been following its
> growth for about thirty years. To me, it is an inspiring story. Now
> this unsettling news: Kent Whealy, who co-founded SSE with wife,
> Diane, in 1975, was fired by the Board of Directors.

The board seems to have followed corporate draconian steps in outsing
Kent, but of course there are always two sides to a story. The board
evidently doesn't have good PR flaks. Their position on the cattle is
also not so good, if Kent's portrayal is correct. The whole situation
is distressing. An outside observer has to wonder how much of this is
a post-divorce gotcha fight.

Marie