homestead - Re: [Homestead] Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:53:13 -0800

At 1/24/2008, you wrote:
Lucky us, Baker Creek is only an hour north of Heartwood. Chris and I
went up there last year for the spring festival. It's a very real
place. We parked in a big pasture and walked in to find an impressive
number of vendors, presentations, good food and live music. Lots of
people. We browsed through the seed barn bins and bought way too many
seeds. A seed barn is like a bookstore, a place most dangerous to
one's finances.

I went to the fall show a couple of years ago. Even as hot as it was there was a good turn out but I felt the religious aspect was a bit much. He is Seventh Day Adventist and that was pushed heavily during the fall festival by flyers.

Gettle is quite the promoter and for 2008 he is doing monthly
festivals. If you get the chance, it's worth your time.

I spent the last three weeks helping out on an organic vegetable farm in Hollister, CA. The subject came up because they buy several OP varieties from Baker Creek Commerical growers.

What was I doing there, well the first day I repaired the glow plugs and fixed a broken wire on a Ford Diesel pickup, the next day I replaced the steering switches and heater core on a delivery truck and the thermostat on another. Over the next three weeks I wired a couple of coolers for lights, replaced the cam shaft in another Diesel delivery truck, replaced the bearings and ring gear on a tractor and reinstalled both then prepared the tractor for splitting, pulled one truck out of the mud so I could replace the vacuum pump, drove to Salinas for parts and to Watsonville for row covers, went to Galt to buy a shredder, fixed a water leak, and several other things I have forgotten. It was a busy three weeks and I have to go back in a couple of weeks to finish the tractor and pull the head off a Diesel truck. Check my journal sometime tomorrow after noon.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com