homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goat as a prefered meat question

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goat as a prefered meat question
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:17:34 -0500

On 12/29/07, jmroll AT bellsouth.net <jmroll AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Being from Alabama I don't even know anyone here who eats goat meat. I
> tried it many years ago BBQed, very tough as I remember. I tried it again
> about 6 weeks ago in a Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio, Texas (Mi Serra)
> it was awful. My question is how to best feed out a goat and then how best
> prepare and cook the meat ? The Goat sales in Cullman, Alabama seem to be
> doing well and there are many goat grower around here.

Some people here in Virginia wrinkle their noses at the thought of
goat meat, others are real familiar with it. We butchered a goat in
Nov. He was maybe 10 mos. old and banded at 3 or 4 mos. Mine are just
fed pasture and a good goat mineral. Pasture is a little grass, lots
of forbs and browse. Lots of weeds and small trees. Goats do good on
it.

I wouldn't say the meat had any off taste, basically like beef. Sheep
meat has a funky taste to me. My goats are % Boer. You want to cook it
wet, lots of sop for BBQ or marinade in the oven, stew on top.

I took the ribs and boiled them in some water, boiled the water off
and fryed them in their own fat and they came out really good. It
makes good stew meat, also.

Rob -Va