homestead - Re: [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:35:44 -0800 (PST)

When looking at the outside do you see waterproofing?
I don't think that was routinely done in the 60s.
Insulation on the outside down below the frost line is
a good idea, I think Gene mentioned that.

Question related to insulation. Anybody tried
recycling Styrofoam to insulate a space like the
blocks? I've seen it done in a storage building but
don't know if there are known pros and cons. I
believe they do sell Styrofoam insulation but don't
know it is the same as packing peanuts etc. It would
take a while but enough Styrofoam around to do a lot
of insulation.
Van Dell