homestead - Re: [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:13:49 -0700

On Dec 13, 2007, at 7:05 AM, waayupnorth wrote:

I'm looking locally for used bead board to
break up and fill the cavities, especially the lower
half. And exterior insulation of probably the top
four feet will definitely be part of the plan.
Hopefully when insulated the concrete walls will do a
better job of storing and releasing heat from my
basement wood stove.

Broken bead board will not properly fill the cavities.

When applying insulation board to the exterior, carefully brush clean the blocks, make sure they are dry, then apply a waterproofing product, then stick the board to that. Warren's comment on termites is valid. Make sure the waterproofing product is thick enough so that when the board is stuck to it there are no voids where termites may travel from earth up into the wood.

I have used a basement wood stove. I burned a huge amount of wood and barely kept the house warm.