homestead - Re: [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:13:17 -0500

You'll hear differing opinions, but down here you can't put styrofoam
in ground contact because it provides a conduit for termites up into
the structure. Probably doesn't apply up there but it wouldn't hurt to
look into local building codes/best practices.

I'd be surprised if your block basement walls are completely hollow,
but I guess stranger things have happened. The best system is blown
in foam, which is done through drilled holes. Unfortunately the foam
mixing equipment is specialized so it has to be hired out.
Perlite/vermiculite/zonolite loose block fill is very annoying if you
ever have a crack develop or ever drill a hole in the block or have
one now- it will drain until it all comes out.

If my basement was dry, I'd probably just apply rigid insulation to
the interior walls. I'm thinking 2.5 inches thick = approx R-13 =
approximately 1.00/sqft.

Warren.