homestead - [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?

  • From: waayupnorth <waayupnorth AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] basement hollow block - worth insulating?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:16:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello from northwest Minnesota,
In my unfinished basement between the floor joists
against the outer wall there was just small pieces of
fiberglass batt insulation.
I want to temporarily remove each piece to insulate
better with sealant along the seams and a foam board
against the outer wall, and then to put the
paper-faced fiberglass back in and duct tape it into
place. When I took out the first piece of fiberglass
I saw that the wood plate that rests on the concrete
hollow blocks is not wide enough to completely cover
the cavities in the blocks. So I intend to cover
those cavities with narrow strips of rigid foam sealed
into place.
When I saw the hollow-block cavities open to potential
insulation I also wondered whether to put in them some
type of pourable insulation, maybe foam beads or
something. Would to do so be worthwhile? Does anyone
here have any experience with this?
Jerry

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs