homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:14:26 EST

In a message dated 11/16/2007 12:41:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mmcharry AT gmail.com writes:

> The only thing that worries me a
> bit is that reincarnation may actually occur. Well, perhaps a soul can
> choose to wallow in paradise for a millenium or two before coming
> back....
>
> I can only hope.

Ay, there's the rub!

Or as Shakespeare had Hamet say:

" To die, to sleep--No more--and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep--
To sleep--perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause......

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th' oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th' unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country, from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,"

The titles of two movies of the past decade were taken from this soliloquy:
"An Undiscovered Country" and "What Dreams May Come" </HTML>