homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:01:44 +1000 (GMT+10:00)

>In a world of i-this and e-that, with computer processors getting faster and
>less expensive every year, with studies of nano-technology, discoveries in
>genetics and cracking the DNA code, it is hard to rationalize for the
>average bear that there won't be a workable solution to supplement and
>eventually replace oil.

Realize that all the low hanging fruit has already been picked. The easy
solutions have already been exploited. And above all this was done when the
world was awash in cheap oil. There is no magic elixer.

Right now I am in a place where I can see a version of our future. I am in
Saipan NMI where the economic heights are already receeding into memory. The
era of cheap oil is over and now they are facing blackouts and ever rising
prices. Shipping lines have added significant fuel surcharges and the Diesel
fuel needed for electricity generation is driving prices to unheard of
levels. The minimum wage here is $3.55 an hour. Gasoline is $3.769, and
electricity for businesses in approaching $.40.

Businesses are closing, those that are open are doing everything to same to
the extent that finding cold beer is a real problem.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal