homestead - [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tilting at oil derricks
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:18:43 -0600

Here at Heartwood the rains come down so we have time to play: Jostle With James!, a now and then enterprise certain to solve no great questions, nor to be of any practical use to you homesteaders and wanna-be homesteaders out there who have a sense of decreasing control over factors affecting and effecting your lives and it is logical to do something positive so as to insulate oneself as much as can be done.

So we apologize for wasting your cyber space.

Perhaps it is because we have easy access to vast information that some of us are compelled to speak from a world stage to a house audience. Perhaps we have too much time on our hands. Perhaps it is just plain old-fashioned ego. Perhaps it is all of these. Cast your vote.

The oil industry has paid cheerleaders, much as the NAR has (and had)

Do we know of any economic interest groups that do not have paid cheerleaders? A Washington Post article says there are approximately 35,000 paid lobbyists:

"The number of registered lobbyists in Washington has more than doubled since 2000 to more than 34,750 while the amount that lobbyists charge their new clients has increased by as much as 100 percent. Only a few other businesses have enjoyed greater prosperity in an otherwise fitful economy."

Oh, that was two years ago. More now. The DC Whorehouse apparently needs lots of urgent messagers.

The price of oil will go up. We will pay whatever it is to get what we want. Long before the oil runs out there will be a plethora of alternate energies. They exist now but the prices are too high to be economically viable. As alternate fuels' prices decline and oil prices rise, when the prices meet in the middle, the oil game is over.