homestead - Re: [Homestead] Honda hydrogen and solar

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Honda hydrogen and solar
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:39:41 EST

\

> >>Honda Motor, aiming to start mass production
> of fuel-cell cars by about 2015, is developing a
> system using solar energy for drivers to make
> hydrogen at home to fuel such vehicles.

Something like this, thinks I, is in our future depending, of course, if we
have enough industrial energy to produce the cars and hydrogen systems.

But the ironic thing, the koan, is that if you had a solar roofed garage
producing hydrogen for a hydrogen vehicle, the math is mighty constraint.
You can
produce enough hydrogen for short trips or infrequent longer trips, but not
to commute 70 miles each way five days a week. This means that if our
lifestyles changed enough to accomodate solar powered hydrogen cars, if we
drove so
little that home brewed hydrogen could supply our fuel, we could instead use
the
petroleum we have just from domestic sources for hundreds of years.

That change in lifestyle is going to happen come soon or late, and my bet
would not be on it being voluntary. </HTML>