homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:15:17 -0600

When I saw your email, I called my African-born wife, who has cooked lots of cornbread on open fires as well as stovetops. She agrees with Lynda. Use one's regular cornbread recipe. If you want the top of the cornbread brown, flip it just before it is done. Be more careful than I was the last time I tried to flip it. The cornbread landed on the floor.

If you substitute self-rising cornmeal for regular cornmeal, leave out the salt and baking soda.

1/2 cup buttermilk or soured milk (put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in regular milk to sour it)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg
3/4 cup cornmeal (some folks like to substitute 1/4 cup of flour for 1/4 cup of the cornmeal)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons oil or butter, for the pan

For variations in taste, mix cheese, onions, chopped olives, chopped bell peppers, or chopped jalapenos in the batter.

And, enjoy.

Jerry S.