homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 03:16:31 -0800

I just use my regular old recipe. Heat the pan on a low heat with the lid on, just hot enough to melt the bacon grease and then pour in the batter, turn down the heat to simmer/low depending on your stove, slap the lid back on it and forget it for 30 to 40 minutes.

I found that if I heat the pan with the lid on, I get a more even cooking and it helps retain the heat better. If you put the lid on it cold, then it takes just that much more time for the heat to get to the top and radiate down onto the corn bread.

Speaking of cornbread on top the stove, I remember my mother cooking cornbread and pies in cast aluminum pans when I was a kid. They were Diamond Craft and she had a rack she set in the pans and then put a pie tin or cake pan on the rack and "baked" just like in the oven. I was thinking about trying that with one of my cast iron pans. Anyone else "bake" in their pans?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

It's that time of year when I start craving cornbread. My old
computer-in-the-cranium says I used to make it on the stovetop in one
of the cast-iron skillets. Alas, the computer memory is defective.
Recipes, please.