homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:35:08 -0700

At 10/22/2007, you wrote:
Also, for every sensible home owner, you have the not so sensible which
causes problems for the other owners. People who don't maintain fire
breaks. People who cut down natives which are fire resistant (they aren't
pretty enough or aren't the "in" plant), disturb the ground, weeds and
grasses grow in their place and then the oh so bright homeowner brings in
all kinds of highly flammable shrubs they plant right up next to the house.

Whe we first mover there I left the native plants in place except for the 75' cleared area around the house. After that burned I cleared out to 125' but left the remainder of burnt stumps untouched. This held the ground in place. I then disked a fire break around the stumps. The builder next door cleared the lot completely and pushed everything into the creek. The next rainfall washed tons of mud down stream. My place and the next door place were inspected by various people and I passed, the builder was fined.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com