homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:08:43 -0700

At 10/19/2007 04:30 PM,EarthNSky wrote:
As you probably all are aware, the Southeast is in the middle of one of
the worst droughts on record. At my home, we are 17 inches under where
we should be, and the ground is cracked and dry. There has been no rain
to speak of in months.

At least 5 million people without drinking water in 90 days?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071019/D8SCHTI00.html

>>ATLANTA (AP) - With the South in the grip of an epic drought and its largest city holding less than a 90-day supply of water, officials are scrambling to deal with the worst-case scenario: What if Atlanta's faucets really do go dry?

So far, no real backup plan exists. And there are no quick fixes among suggested solutions, which include piping water in from rivers in neighboring states, building more regional reservoirs, setting up a statewide recycling system or even desalinating water from the Atlantic Ocean.

More than a quarter of the Southeast is covered by an "exceptional" drought - the National Weather Service's worst drought category. The Atlanta area, with a population of 5 million,<<

So let's say in 90 days, say 20 Jan 2008 (3 months) all the taps in the Atlanta area stop working (worst case). 5 million people have around 3 days to get water or die and they don't have a plan yet. I'll bet they are really really hoping for a lot of rain.

Anyone want to bet we ALL are affected by this in one way or another?

Rob
becida AT comcast.net