homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:27:06 +0000

I do think water is and will continue to be the most critical element for our
survival. one area of the country's severe drought also affects the economy
in other areas of the country. since hay is dried and can't grow in the
drought, out here where they have been getting 3 cuttings this year, they are
hauling the hay to sell at high prices over there - eastward to alabama and
georgia. which makes it really expensive here. that's just one example, but
i'm sure whatever other crops are failing there will cause the same demand
and supply changes. we've always felt really blessed by the water here, our
springs ebb and flow during the year but have never failed yet. others around
us lost water a couple times earlier this year because the drought was here
for a little while too. ours stayed strong enough to keep us showered and if
not the gardens irrigated, then at least the critters and people were able to
use it. plus it was enough to keep washing clothes here. before we captured
the second spring we would have had to go to the laudromat, which is
outrageously expensive these days for a family of 5.

i'm not sure of the source for our springs, but i hope it is there for a long
time to come. i hope it's not an aquifer that is being drawn down by new
subdivisions and chicken barns. in the heirarchy of the jungle, people might
be at the top, but there is a heirarchy among the people. i'm afraid
individuals are pretty low down on the totem pole :( business with huge
lobbies will be at the top. Tyson stands out in my mind as one of our local
big players. And if they require the water for the chickens, they'll get it.

not only the availability of water, but the cleanliness of it is also an
issue that has barely broke the surface yet. i'll bet the prescription drugs
in the water is going to become much more reported on in the future.

roxann, nw ar
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com