homestead - Re: [Homestead] An International Analysis of the Credit Debacle

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] An International Analysis of the Credit Debacle
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:49:26 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Energy-wise ethanol is indeed busy work. But in another way it is far more destructive. If we simply burned the petrol in our cars, we'd still have some topsoil and water with which to grow food, even if we had to do it by less mechanical means. The way it is going we are going to end up out of gas and food at the same time.
In climate impact there is some advantage to using renewable vs geosequestered biomass just in releasing only modern carbons that would be impacting currently anyway. But to chose to fuel a car to go to a gym and walk on a treadmill instead of eating just boggles my mind.
Releasing ancient carbon doesn't seem to me a way to preserve growability. This climate change is already affecting growing, big time.

Kathyann