homestead - Re: [Homestead] An International Analysis of the Credit Debacle

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] An International Analysis of the Credit Debacle
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:10:15 -0700

At 10/8/2007, you wrote:

I'm not against the use of coal, and I'm probably biased being right beside
the SW Va coal fields, but burning coal to process motor fuel so we can pretend
that we aren't polluting and releasing fossil carbon is atrocious.

From
http://www.ethanolproducer.com/article-print.jsp?article_id=2068

"Of the 34 plants under construction when the survey was conducted, 17 responded. Of those, a majority­11­plan on using natural gas. Four plants say coal will be the primary energy source. One plant plans on using the “dual-fuel” system of natural gas and coal. Finally, one plant says it will use a biogas created through cattle manure feedstock from a nearby feedlot to power its facility."

"The fact remains, when considering all of the logistical issues ethanol projects face, natural gas continues­and likely will continue­to be the cheapest energy source per Btu for ethanol plants. The overall instability of the natural gas market is the likely root of considering other sources. After all, coal is extremely abundant in the western United States. "

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com