homestead - Re: [Homestead] Morning musing

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Morning musing
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:55:03 -0500

On 9/20/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Certainly one might blame the beer, but alas, during after-dinner
> talk we old friends actually sunk to the level of shouting at each
> other as we exchanged and argued over what we think we know about
> peak oil, overpopulation, sustainability, inflation, dollar erosion,
> and of course politics. Somehow we missed sex and religion.

Being a long-time copyeditor, I've been on a copyediting listserve for
years. It has now spun off another list (this happened at the
beginning of the Bush administration) where people can vent about
politics and religion and yet another list where people can vent even
louder.

Recently on the off-list (not even the off-off-list where insane
behavior is not remarked upon -- I run that one) a long-time
contributor fell into profanity (not all that bad really,
considering), and one person objected. So far, everyone has expressed
understanding of why cursing is not out of line in discussing the only
government we have. We haven't even gottten to global warming. It was
the rejection of habeus corpus that set off the storm.

I don't think the problem is too much information. I think it ia no
response from our government to the horrible problems we face. The
more information that people get and process, the more angry they get.
One thing about the copyeditors is that they're informed. And know
about fact checking.

Marie