homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rural home firefighting

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rural home firefighting
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:34:38 -0700

At 9/12/2007 05:43 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:
A bit of research shows that this is a big and controversial
discussion among many who know far more than I.

I don't know much about rural firefighting other than where I lived in Minnesota the volunteer fire dept was a good 20 min drive from our place.
We lived in the woods and forest fire was always a worry of mine.

A small fire would either be dealt with by us or it would get too big to save anything.
For a forest fire I had a gasoline powered pump that went to a "tee" with 2 regular garden hose fittings on it and a 1200 gal above ground swimming pool. I kept the grass and brush away from the house and kept the swimming pool filled (a popular place for my kids in the summer).

My plan was to run the hoses to sprinklers on top of the house, fire up the pump & get the water sprinkling on top of the house and around the edges. Then pack up and run away.

We never had to deal with the problem.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA