homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jersey Cattle

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jersey Cattle
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:19:37 EDT

> She is bred back to
> a Jersey. He wants $1200.

Not out of line. Dairy cattle are always negotiable and the initial offer is
usually a bit high. If she were in full lactation AND rebred, that would
make the price even more in line.

> Something is not right here,

That's what I'd say. You are right, you NEVER not milk a dairy cow. It
screws up their production and especailly Jerseys will develop bad habits if
they
are off the lactation cycle any longer than the few weeks before calving.

I can't imagine a much better homestead cow than a Jersey. Big enough to
make milking worth while and yet small enough to be easy on the foodstuff.
They
almost never get sick and they live long and lactate long. Unlike commercial
cows you can easily milk a homestead Jersey for twenty years.

But they are bossy! You have to get their cooperation, you can't bully them
into anything other than having your foot stepped on or backside bumped into
the manure.

The quality of the milk is the max. I'm not fond of milk myself but I love
the butter, yogurt, kefir, and cheese. One Jersey cow supplies our family of
six (or more at times) with all the milk, ice cream, and every other form of
dairy with enough milk to barter ten gallons or so a week for this and that
and
still enough left over to raise two hogs on it.

We also milk three or four goats for a few weeks a couple of times a year but
now most of that goes into feta and jetost and pigs.
</HTML>