homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden water infrastructure

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden water infrastructure
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:17:45 -0500

On Sep 10, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I wish! What I have are hoses. And lots of connectors. It gives me
lots of exercise before mowing.

Yes. I have hauled hoses far too many years. Seems to me that I would plant more and raise more with greater success if not for the hose hauling issue.

My goal is to have some kind of water supply in each garden bed that is controllable. I prefer drip irrigation and am thinking about a normal, high-pressure Schedule 40 one-inch line to the first bed, have a valve there, then go shallow with irrigation piping to the rest of the beds and across the main path to the other half of the garden. The garden slopes well, so when freezing weather arrives, the valve can be closed and the lower end opened to drain. I am wrestling with the design for the hose bibs. My beds will mostly, eventually, be built of ferrocement, about two feet high. So the water bib risers need to either be that high or be raiseable. Hm, red underline alert. If raiseable and raisable are incorrect spellings, what is the word? Reconstruct. I wish to be able to raise the hose bibs when the beds are raised. There. I am thinking PVC pipe filled with concrete to be posts to which the hose bib standards may be clamped. I am done with rotting wood that needs to be replaced.

One issue is that hose bibs connect to male pipe threads. But irrigation pipe uses slip fittings. Anyone know of hose bibs that connect with slip fittings?