homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jersey Cattle

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jersey Cattle
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:52:05 -0400

Thanks for the input. The cow freshened for the first time 4 mos ago.
She was one of 4 that the guy bought for a small cow share dairy. He
milked her some when she first freshened cause the calf could not keep
up, but has just let her with the calf since then. She is bred back to
a Jersey. He wants $1200.

Something is not right here, maybe he just does not have enough
business. He kind of paused when I asked him how the business was
going. Didn't want to discuss.

I grew up on a dairy and know that you milk the cow even if you throw
the milk away. Part of the training and also keeps them in milk,
develops a better milker. He said that both he an his wife grew up on
dairys and seems to know what he is doing.

Lots of dough. I'm taking a trip to Pennsylvania in a few weeks. Just
might pick up a couple of diary heifer calves or arrange to pick some
up next trip.

Rob - Va