homestead - [Homestead] A $2,500 rugged homestead car?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] A $2,500 rugged homestead car?
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 06:47:27 -0700

June 22, 2007, 3:43 pm
India’s $2,500 Car

By Richard S. Chang

Tags: india, mahindra & mahindra, maruti, Nissan, peter stevens, tata motors
INSERT DESCRIPTIONAn assembly line at Mahindra & Mahindra vehicle production plant in Nashik. (Punit Paranjpe/Reuters)

Let’s talk cheap cars. Very cheap cars. Nissan announced yesterday that it’s thinking of building a $3,000 car for India — which might have sounded inexpensive, if only Tata Motors, an Indian automaker, hadn’t announced plans for a $2,000 car earlier this month.

How is it possible? (Is it possible?) Would it be made out of spit and twine? Would there be a risk of the doors flying off? I had so many questions, I didn’t know where to start. So I phoned the only person I knew who could shed more light on the topic: Peter Stevens.

Fascinating stuff:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/22/indias-2500-car/

  • [Homestead] A $2,500 rugged homestead car?, Gene GeRue, 06/23/2007