homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing hops

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing hops
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:30:26 -0500

On 3/9/07, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

I've been reading about growing hops...Someone in California will be
sending me some rhizomes from a commercial hops yard, and I need to
figure out what to do.

The idea is to get the vine UP..way UP off the ground..I'm trying to
figure out the best way to do that here. The sites talk
about using string, but in our climate, wouldn't wire be better? How do
I anchor the pole so storms don't topple it? How do you harvest the
hops when they are so tall?

Believe it or not, we have hops growing up the side of our barn. The
previous homeowner planted it, he was a real homesteader--we bought into the
dream and have been figuring out what to do ever since. The hops vine is not
anchored with anything, the stem is sturdy and somewhat sticky, it clings to
the barn on its own. The golden hops cones are easy to harvest, they stick
out somewhat, a ladder will do for the tallest part (up 12'-15'). We haven't
noticed any objectionable smell when at the barn. We have yet to brew our
own beer, but traded hops last year to a nearby not-on-the-map 'brewery' in
exchange for some beverages.

Lisa