homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing hops

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing hops
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:58:51 -0600

On 3/10/07, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

In answer to both the above, the vine will climb on anything. It doesn twine
tightly, but it also sticks to all and sundry. The vine is a bit woody and
it feels somewhat velcro-ish.

It will also persist for years. My grandmother decided to grow hops at
some point in her life. They covered the fence and brush in the area
where she'd planted them for years (at least 60 by my reckoning --
Grandma would have been 130+ now, had she not died at 93) and were
only exterminated when we took out the fence, grubbed out the brush,
and mowed the area regularly.

Marie