homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing hops

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing hops
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:22:12 EST

> Okay, so, Lisa and James, what if I used a 2" diameter bamboo pole for a
> center support, and placed smaller diameter bamboo around it, using the
> smaller bamboo instead of string? Would the hops vine twine around a
> 3/4 inch diameter bamboo pole (fishing pole size), or do I still need
> the string?
> Thanks James, I had not thought about the wire heating up...duh..
> Also, I'm a bit confused. I thought the vine twined clockwise to attach
> itself, but Lisa's description of the stem and the way it sticks to the
> barn makes me wonder...does it do both?

In answer to both the above, the vine will climb on anything. It doesn twine
tightly, but it also sticks to all and sundry. The vine is a bit woody and
it feels somewhat velcro-ish.

> Also, do either one of you cut it back to the ground every year, or do
> you just let it go? Do you prune it yearly?

No choice in the matter. Hops vines die back to the ground every year and
come back from the root. Just like kudzu. It climbs 10 to 20 feet every
year
from the root.