homestead - [Homestead] Wastefulness

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Wastefulness
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:56:39 -0500

I think wastefulness is becoming my pet peeve. Yesterday, I visited a
friend who was cleaning up an old house they had just moved out of..they
had moved in a bit of a hurry and had left non-essential stuff in the
house. While cleaning up, she decided to get rid of some of the stuff,
so I went down there to pilfer through her garbage. :)
I ended up with a trashbag full of old cereal, taco shells, freezer
burned veggies, leftover chili, etc. etc. for the chickens, and some of
the food was good enough to still eat, so I got that, too. She was
going to throw out a whole bag of carrots and a couple of heads of
broccoli, some chicken breasts, some peppers,,,,just a bunch of stuff.
She's been saving wine bottles for me for my bottle tree, so I got a few
of those, too. She had a half empty bottle of Merlot in the fridge, and
she was about to toss it, so I asked how old it was...2 weeks or so, she
said...Well, I don't particularly care for Merlot, but I brought it
home, too. Today, I have a venison roast marinating in that Merlot,
along with some garlic. It smells wonderful.
In addition to the food, I got some ceramic tile samples that she had
purchased when trying to decide what to put in her new house. I've got
a variety of similar styles, earthy stuff, and enough to do a small
mosaic or some other project. I love tile.. I also got an old phone,
mason jars, spray paint, a goldfish bowl, etc. etc. The best thing, I
think, is a metal grate wagon that has a long handle. It needs a bit of
welding, but Ron said we could do that, and I might even use this little
project to learn to weld. I tried welding not too long ago, but I have
real trouble seeing what I am doing through the helmet. If I screw up,
Ron can fix it!
At any rate, it was a bonus day...I love going through other people's
junk/trash!

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.