homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness, part deux<g>

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness, part deux<g>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:05:41 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

Small kids just suck up MORE of your time. Mine aren't small (11 and
13) but absolutely do not want to be farmers.

Wow, I can't believe they are that old now! I recall them being like 3
and 5! Jeez!
Perhaps, Lynn, what they don't want is the struggle. Perhaps they blame
the lifestyle for the breakup of their parents. As they mature and
become wiser, the seeds you have planted in them will bear fruit. I
believe that. It may take 20 years, but those seeds will germinate. I
hated gardening and stuff when I was a kid. I recall cutting turnip
greens in the freezing cold before school and picking beans all summer
and having the house smell like vinegar all the time from all the
canning we did. I hated it. But now, I cherish all of that. Your
kids, too, may also make that transition, so keep the faith. Once they
get out on their own, in Brian's world, they will soon be stressed and
turn back to the struggle that is familiar.
I think that is life's pattern.

It's not going above freezing for at least the next 2 weeks here, and
all the usual deep cold problems are surfacing...frozen pipes, frozen
drains, frozen water troughs (I break the ice twice a day, but
everything is freezing solid). I'm getting about 80% of the farm work
done, but it's that other 20% that is sneaking up to bite me in the
butt.

Glad I am not the only one who can't keep up. Just know you are not
alone..I'm right there with ya.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.