homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness, part deux<g>

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness, part deux<g>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:34:23 -0500

> So I offer this as
> advice for anyone who is maybe 30 with small kids, stuck on the fence in
> some city or in suburbia, if you really want to homestead, do it now
> while you are young and the kids can help.

Small kids just suck up MORE of your time. Mine aren't small (11 and 13)
but absolutely do not want to be farmers. I can get them to do basic
chores around the house, but NO farm chores...they are too much like their
father (who HATED country life and is no longer here).They still take more
energy from me than they give back.

It's not going above freezing for at least the next 2 weeks here, and all
the usual deep cold problems are surfacing...frozen pipes, frozen drains,
frozen water troughs (I break the ice twice a day, but everything is
freezing solid). I'm getting about 80% of the farm work done, but it's
that other 20% that is sneaking up to bite me in the butt.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA