homestead - Re: [Homestead] This and That

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] This and That
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:20:41 -0800

It is just plain weird. You'da thought someone had taken the twelve acres and neatly divided into four parcels. If you sliced a wedge out of our hill, you'd see that our property is terraced naturally. Each of the "terraces" has at least one section that has standing water or a marshy area until June, sometimes July. Except, as the weirdness continues, the bottom section which is next to our two creeks. I can drive all over it all year round.

We haven't decided what to do with the old garden area. At some point someone put a lot of work into, composted like crazy (you can almost dig in it with your hands) and actually terraced the hillside and hauled a load of rock to do it. The problem is that although it faces west, it gets relatively little sun. At first we used that garden area only to find that the fruit trees and berry bushes were drowning and that the main sloop simply didn't get enough sun for the corn and beans.

It's a shame to waste the area but I haven't figured out what will do well there except willow trees <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

It sounds as if you're blessed with low areas with some water flow
underground. In the area I originally chose for my garden, at the
highest point on the property (it was convenient and never flooded),
everything required watering every few days (with the usual lack of
rain). When I planted a summer crop in the area downhill from the
seasonal spring flow, further down the hill, it hardly ever did, even
though it was the water-loving yacon (Polymnia sonchifolia). I wish
that every piece of ground was similarly blessed, for you could just
create raised beds, but I don't think it's possible for every point to
be a low spot.