homestead - Re: [Homestead] This and That

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] This and That
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:46:07 -0500

OH! I don't know why, but I thought you were like zone 5 or something..duh..
yeah, those are definitely trees I have in abundance on my property,
except for the magnolia, because Ron hates them.
Your temps sound a lot like mine as it is common to see single digits in
the winter (it was 14 here last night and we had a 12 degree night in
December-Feb is our coldest month, usually) I have seen sub zero nights
as well.

As to what else to plant, how about pawpaws, witchhazel, and serviceberry? There are some wild hollies that do well here, too. I think, for wildlife, you need some evergreens.

Bev

Lynda wrote:
We are "supposedly" in Zone 7 but we average between Zero and 10 degrees for the lows in the winter and 110 in the summer. The dogwood and redbuds grow wild up here, so I know they will work. There is one magnolia and one tulip that will supposedly grow in Zones 5-8, so it would be those that I'd order.

I'm thinking even some of the timber bamboo up by the road to cut down on the dust, on of the joys of a dirt road and idiots that think since it is a private road that any speed will do.