homestead - Re: [Homestead] This and That

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] This and That
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:09:37 -0800

What I already have are Doug Fir, Ponderosa pine, Gray/Digger pine, madrone (one that is REALLY old and has a diameter of over 24"), white oak, black oak and some hybrid that seems to be native to the area. I've got 3 types of manzanita (white, pink and red). I've also planted 3 true bull pines and an Italian Stone pine. I have a grove of redwoods (5 trees), one of which I "borrowed" from the Colonel Armstrong tree (http://www.redwoodhikes.com/Armstrong/Armstrong.html
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/CALIFORNIAREDWOODS.HTML)
naughty me for climbing over that fence <g>

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Now I'm off to look through the catalogs. Hey, that gives me an excuse to look through more catalogs, or wishbooks <g>

OH! I don't know why, but I thought you were like zone 5 or something..duh..
yeah, those are definitely trees I have in abundance on my property,
except for the magnolia, because Ron hates them.
Your temps sound a lot like mine as it is common to see single digits in
the winter (it was 14 here last night and we had a 12 degree night in
December-Feb is our coldest month, usually) I have seen sub zero nights
as well.

As to what else to plant, how about pawpaws, witchhazel, and
serviceberry? There are some wild hollies that do well here, too. I
think, for wildlife, you need some evergreens.