homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rural conditions

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rural conditions
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:22:46 -0700

One might think that the bringer of some better way or
better resouces would be greeted with gratitude. No. Don't expect it. Not even
if it is really needed.

You may as well be writing from Iraq.

Poor but proud. Fits traditional Ozarkers, too.

There is a story that I believe to be true about an elderly lady who lived in our neighborhood. A team of students from the university were doing a survey of the hill people of southern Missouri. As they questioned this lady, they quickly realized she was by their standards very poor. They told her that she would qualify for many government programs then available. She listened politely to their suggestions and then replied, "But that would be taking charity, wouldn't it?" The students were nonplussed.

Alas, a dying breed. A substantial percentage now take all the government money they can get.

Ironically, a strong majority vote Republican. The Republican party has a reputation of being the party of small government, of low taxes, of minimizing government programs, of leaving people alone to enjoy traditional American freedoms.

The older people cling to that belief.