homestead - Re: [Homestead] My First Goat

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My First Goat
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:04:49 EST

> Store bought. don't remember the brand, off the top of my head. Don't
> know anyone around here who keeps goats to get homemade.

Very likely not anything like farmstead cheese. Remember that everything in
the grocery store is made to sell, not to eat. Many people have bought that
dismal, dismal goats milk in the carton in the mart and said, "Yuck! If this
is goat's milk, I don't to have anything to do with it." Yuck indeed, but
that
stuff is just plain awful and resembles fresh goats milk in no way whatever.

Cheese isn't quite that stark, but store cheese, especially the fresh, soft
cheeses, are quite a let down from homestead made cheese.

Goat milk here goes into Feta. It is stored in heavy brine and lasts more
than a year.