homestead - Re: [Homestead] My First Goat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My First Goat
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:03:17 -0500

Congratulations Gloria, now you are gonna be hooked...:)

Bev

Gloria Morris wrote:
Howdy, All!

I ought to have included this on my New Year's Resolutions, but one big
homesteading thing I am going to do in 2007 is to get into goats. I've long
been interested in goats, but for various reasons I have not previously
gotten my goat. <grin> Now that I am moving to my new homestead, and I am
down to one horse who sorely needs companionship, and my new fencing can
handle goats, it seems the perfect time to finally acquire goats.

I have selected the first one, a grade Nubian bred doe. I will be,
hopefully, picking her up the first weekend of January, with the kind
assistance of my good friend Marie. THANKS, MARIE!!!!!!! The doe has in the
past produced litters, so I will soon be up to my eyeballs in kids, likely.
I'm pretty excited about it. I will be milking the doe. I hope I will be
making cheese. Certainly, I will expand my soap making to include goat milk
soaps, which I have long wanted to do.

Of course, this decision will, in all likelihood, ultimately require my
acquisition of a buck. And, in turn, he will require companionship in the
form of a wether or a second buck (OMG!!!!). And, there will be more fencing
for the boys. Hmm. Learning AI might not be such a bad thing ...

Gloria