homestead - Re: [Homestead] My First Goat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My First Goat
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:54:14 -0500

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
I had my first goat cheese last week. Pretty good. My kids didn't
care for it much, nor my wife. sigh... On the bright side, however, more for me ;-)

Ray
The flavor of a goat cheese depends on a LOT of things..including
sanitation and the environment under which it was made. Fresh cheese is
delicate and can even pick up odors and scents in the air.
Most people's 'first' cheese is the kind that is easy to make by adding
rennet or lemon juice and then hanging it to drain, adding herbs, salt
etc. Don't judge goat milk or other cheeses like homemade mozzerella by
the taste of this one. It may not have been seasoned to your taste.
I know very few folks who eat cream cheese straight...usually they add
some kind of seasoning to it like onion or dill or some other flavoring,
maybe ranch or something, something salty...cheese needs salt and a good
cracker that will complement the taste of the cheese.
So, what kind of cheese did you eat? Did you make it or did someone
else or did you buy it? (YUK if you bought it-no wonder the kids didn't
like it!)

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.