homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Resolutions for 2007

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Resolutions for 2007
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:34:03 -0700

On another homestead list, a thread came up about New Year's
Resolutions, and I thought it might be fun to do it here, too.
Here's my list:

Bev, I become exhausted merely reading your to-do list, let alone your accomplishments.

You Vikings may or may not recognize the god Janus, whose two faces, so said the Romans, allowed him to look both backward and forward. Hence resolutions. The Romans had some corny ideas about resolutions at the beginning of their new years, which each year's calendar was in fact begun by their double-faced god. Their resolutions are strange by modern standards, such as seeking forgiveness from prior enemies. Such an ancient enterprise, how could we ever resolve such a thought to modern life?

Here we are at another opportunity juncture, with the ability to look both backwards and forwards. We can't change what we did last year but we are hopeful that we can do better this year. And next year we will do it all over again.

As I enter the second year of my eighth decade I find myself more cautious about goals, more careful about making big plans. Having paid the painful prices of pneumonia, sciatica and shingles it has become clear to me that I need to relax more and go with the natural flow. Setting and fulfilling big goals is sensible for those for whom big goals provide necessary nourishment. I used to be there. Today my psyche is most serene with more modest goals and smaller accomplishments than I have sought in the past. I tease myself that I am getting smarter.

So my resolution for the coming year is to become more patient, more content with what is, paying more attention to the enveloping beauty of Heartwood and surrounding area, smelling flowers more deeply and letting fragrance seep deeper into my soul, and bye and bye more successfully finding those Zen moments and making sufficiency of them.