homestead - Re: [Homestead] 100 years ago

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 100 years ago
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:23:07 -0500

Lynda wrote:

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.

To me, this one was most illuminating. I keep picturing those
satellites of the Earth at night. Of course, coastlines are visible
easily, but so are interstates, well, the commercial areas and towns
built along them.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

What's walking speed for a horse?

I have a picture of my great grandmother and grandmother at the 1904
Worlds Fair in St. Louis...lots of horses and buggies in the street, and
they were in one, in fact.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .

Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which
were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

I thought this was kind of funny, that whoever wrote this list was so
shocked by these statements that they capitalized everything. It
doesn't seem so foreign to us, though, and goes to the point that a lot
of things we consider essential, isn't.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky